Get certified in four easy steps!
- Visit my.nglcc.org to complete the online application process. First, build your business profile; this is your chance to market your enterprise to other certified LGBTBEs and NGLCC's 140 Corporate Partners. You will then be prompted to submit supporting documentation to verify your eligibility for certification*. Once a business profile is created, a member of our Supplier Diversity team will be in touch with you to connect you with your regional Manager, as well as outline the certification timeline.
- Once your application is complete, your regional Manager will schedule a site visit. Site visits allow us to verify the information in your application and better understand how we can support your long term business goals.
- Your application will be reviewed by the National Certification Committee.
- After receiving confirmation on the approval of your application, participate in an LGBTBE Orientation webinar and learn how to fully leverage the resources of the Supplier Diversity Initiative.
If at any time you need help during this process, please contact the NGLCC SDI Team at 202-234-9181!
*Why Do I Need to Submit Documentation?
NGLCC's LGBTBE certification is modeled on the standards developed by other national diverse certifying bodies, including the NMSDC (National Minority Supplier Diversity Council) and WBENC (Women's Business Enterprise National Council).
NGLCC corporate partners, have made a committment to investing LGBT-owned businesses, and the certification process ensures those resources are received by this communication. The NGLCC and its governing bodies, including the Procurement & Corporate Advisory Councils (whose members are NGLCC corporate partners and LGBTBEs), determined several standards and procedures to create a transparent process that is authentic and as uniform as possible, in concert with the standard requirements across the supplier diversity industry.
Accordingly, several documents are required to verify two critical points: 1.) that each majority business owner is LGBT and 2.) that said LGBT business owner(s) controls, manages, operates, and owns the company 51% or more. These documents are reviewed by the National Certification Committee, which is comprised of LGBT entrepreneurs, corporate representatives, and allies. A certain quorum is mandated and the process can take up to 90 days to complete, in order to maintain integrity and thoroughness. Each document required demonstrates to the committee the various aspects related to verifying the above and essentially give a picture of the company, in order to prevent any ineligible business to obtain LGBTBE designation.
Note: the NGLCC understands that the confidentiality of the information that is requested and has taken extensive security measures to protect all the and is never released to outside parties. All NGLCC representatives, including staff, site visitors, and National Certification Committee members have signed non-disclosure agreements and hold this information in the strictest confidence. Any individual with access to your information has pledged not to disclose or disseminate that information unless ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction or the government. NGLCC certification does not prove or guarantee the financial viability of any company; it only means that a company has gone through the independent process of verifying that it is LGBT-owned.
All applicants must submit the following into their my.nglcc.org application to be considered. **PLEASE NOTE: If WBENC or USBLN certified, there is an expedited application process. Please contact the Supplier Diversity team for details.
For a downloadable checklist (in PDF): Supporting Documents Checklist
I. GENERAL ITEMS required of all business owners or partners comprising majority LGBT ownership/control/management/operation:
- MyNGLCC business profile
- Brief history of business
- Startups can submit brief business plan
- Resume of each LGBT majority owner/partner, to demonstrate owner's expertise and knowledge of company
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- acceptable forms of citizenship include a copy of:
- a valid passport;
- birth certificate; or
- green card
- acceptable forms of citizenship include a copy of:
- LGBT status verification documents of majority business owners (also known as LGBT status qualifiers). The NGLCC may request the submission of several, in order to expedite the process and unequivocally demonstrate to the committee the LGBT status of the business' owner(s).
- 1 letter from NGLCC affiliate chamber leader attesting to LGBT status of each business owner
- Copy of valid, municipal or state license/certificate of marriage, civil union, or domestic partnership
- 3 letters of reference from personal contacts on their company letterhead or stationery who:
- have known owner for over a year
- can vouch / attest to LGBT status
- Evidence of completed or attempted parenting or family building efforts with same-sex partners including surrogacy, adoption, or in-vitro fertilization procedures
- Physician carry letter evidencing gender reassignment or medical procedures
- Media (publications, newspapers, articles, or otherwise explicitly stating LGBT status of owner(s))
- Attorney letter establishing LGBT status of owner(s)
- Certificates, awards, recognition of owners as outstanding members of LGBT community
- Philanthropic donation receipts with same-sex partner
- Legal petitiion for name/gender change
- Joint living arrangement paperwork naming same-sex partner
- examples include: property, deeds/titles, insurance (auto, health, home, etc.), phone/utility bills, wills, retirement plans, loans, lines of credit, investment holdings, hospital visitation, etc.
- For a complete list, or for clarification, of adequate extent of proof, please contact the NGLCC at your convenience
- Proof of NGLCC affiliate chamber membership OR $400 non-refundable processing fee*
*The NGLCC is proud to report that it waives all fees related to certification provided that the applicant is a member of the nearest affliated LGBT chamber--a $400 value at no cost to you! To become a member of an NGLCC affiliate chamber, visit our list of affiliates. Check or money order made payable to the NGLCC
II. BUSINESS/LEGAL STRUCTURE DOCUMENTS. In addition to documents supporting all business types, NGLCC must receive all items specific to the corresponding legal structure below:
- Form 1040 Schedule C The NGLCC understands the sensitivity of these documents and allows applicants to black out information, if desired. Startups are exempt until recertification the following year
- Applicable operating business license and/or permits
- Assumed Name Documents (if applicable)
- Form 1065 Schedule K-1 (for each owner), Form 1120 Schedule G, or Form 1120s Schedule K-1 (for each owner) *depending on how your business files The NGLCC understands the sensitivity of these documents and allows applicants to black out information, if desired. Startups are exempt until recertification the following year
- Partnership agreements
- Proof of capital investment by LGBT partners
- Limited partnership certificate
- Profit sharing agreements
Corporations (S & C)
- Form 1120 Schedule G if an S-Corporation, or Form 1120s Schedule K-1 if an S-Corporation *depending on how your business files. The NGLCC understands the sensitivity of these documents and allows applicants to black out information, if desired. Startups are exempt until recertification the following year
- Certificate of incorporation
- Articles of Incorporation
- Minutes of first board meeting establishing current ownership (proprietary information may be redacted)
- Minutes from most recent meeting of shareholders (proprietary information may be redacted)
- Minutes from most recent meeting of the Board (proprietary information may be redacted)
- Corporate bylaws
- Copies of stock certificates (both sides) or proof of stock purchase or equity agreement by LGBT owner and/or current stock transfer ledger
Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- If a Multi-Member LLC, Form 1065 Schedule K-1 (for each owner), Form 1120 Schedule G, or Form 1120s Schedule K-1 (for each owner)
- If a Single Member LLC, Form 1065 Schedule C, Form 1120 Schedule G, or 1120s Schedule K-1 *depending on how your business files. The NGLCC understands the sensitivity of these documents and allows applicants to black out information, if desired. Startups are exempt until recertification the following year
- Articles of Organization
- Certificate of Organization (for businesses in states which issue certificates)
- LLC regulations/operating agreement
For documents that do not apply to your company, please provide a letter listing which documents do not apply and why.
As a way to corroborate the items above that have been sent to NGLCC headquarters, the site visit gathers information for review by the National Certification Committee regarding the ownership, operation, and control of an applicant LGBTBE in person. In addition to providing face-to-face interaction with the NGLCC, site visits help establish unequivocally that a business is majority-owned and operated by LGBT person(s). Once your NGLCC account manager receives your package, they will send your contact information to our trained site visitors in your area who will then reach out to you directly to schedule your site visit.
Once we have received your application, supporting documents, and site visit verification, you are ready for National Certification Committee review. If you have questions about the process, check out our Frequently Asked Questions page, or contact your NGLCC Regional Representative for clarification at 202-234-9181: